Great Northern Highway Realignment – Port Hedland
John Holland – Main Roads Western Australia
Alliance Surveying provides survey management for the project and has been involved in project planning, quantity calculations and field set out from the early tender stages.
A $220 million design and construct contract which commenced in June 2012 to realign the current national highway network around the western edge of the Wedgefield industrial precinct in Port Hedland. The project would provide uninterrupted traffic flow for traffic travelling between Port Hedland and South Hedland as well as for the traffic travelling on Great Northern Highway through Port Hedland. Project is scheduled to be completed early in 2014. Highlights of the project includes:
• 8km of new highway.
• Four new bridges.
• Major interchange over Great Northern Highway at the Broome turn-off.
• New bridge over the BHP Billiton rail line.
• Access to Wedgefield industrial area via a connection to Pinga Street north.
• Access to proposed port development area north of Wedgefield.
• Access to the western port via a new intersection with Utah Point Road.
• New link to South Hedland via Hamilton Road.
• Major drainage works.
• Street lighting at major intersections.
• Public art, landscaping and revegetation.